Medicinal Elderberry Syrup

I think this syrup tastes pretty good, but others in the family don't find it sweet enough. Regardless, this isn't a pancake syrup recipe. It's just intended to be taken a spoonful a day to boost immunity. Whether or not it works I don't know, but I think it's worth trying, and it's a lot cheaper than buying elderberry syrup!


Bring to a boil: 

3 parts water

1 part dried elderberries (I bought these from Amazon)


Boil for at least 30 minutes to render the elderberries safe to consume. I usually just boil it for 1 hour. Then strain the elderberries through a cheesecloth, saving the liquid. Squeeze as much liquid out as possible. This is messy. If anyone has a better way of doing this, let me know! Measure the juice you extract and mix as follows:

3 parts elderberry juice 

1 part honey


Refrigerate. Take a spoonful a day. If you make a large batch, you can freeze portions for later use or bring to a boil and pour into hot jars and seal.

Comments

Popular Posts