Black Bean and Spinach Enchiladas

These enchiladas are TOTALLY AWESOME! I've never made enchiladas before because I'd never eaten any I was really excited about. I tried these with trepidation, especially since I generally use cumin and cilantro cautiously. I liked these so much I'll definitely be making them often!

To make the sauce, heat over medium heat:
2     tablespoons olive oil

Whisk in:
1/4     cup tomato paste
1/4     cup whole-wheat flour
1        teaspoon cumin
1/4     teaspoon garlic powder
1/4     teaspoon onion powder
1/4     teaspoon chili powder
1/4     teaspoon salt
4        teaspoons McKay's Chicken Style Seasoning

Then whisk in:
3        cups water

Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook until slightly thickened.

For the enchilada filling, mix in a large bowl:
15      ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
15      ounce can kernel corn, drained (or you could use frozen corn)
6        ounces spinach (I used frozen spinach, but you could easily use fresh--just cook briefly to wilt)
6        green onions, sliced
1/3     cup cilantro, chopped
1/2     teaspoon cumin
1-1/2  cups vegan cheese sauce (try Crackerbarrel Cheese)

Divide filling between:
6        large flour tortillas (10-inch)

Roll tortillas up tightly with ends tucked in. Lightly spray a 9 x 13 inch baking dish and ladle a layer of sauce into the bottom of the pan. Place filled tortillas seam side down in the pan. Pour remaining sauce over the enchiladas. Top with:
1/2     cup vegan cheese sauce (whatever you put inside the enchiladas)

Bake at 375 degrees for 20-30 minutes or until heated through. ENJOY!

Comments

  1. You should put some pictures up. I am a visual learner :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea! You mean pictures of the steps involved or just the final product? They won't be like pictures you see in food magazines, but I'll take some.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts