Thursday, October 4, 2012

Chili


I wanted a from-scratch chili recipe that I could make with dry beans and one where I didn't have to buy specialty canned tomatoes with Mexican spices or green chilis, I just wanted to use basic canned tomatoes. While it's not totally from scratch since it does use canned green chilis, it's the amount of scratch versus prepared ingredients that I was looking for. I also didn't want to have to buy vegeburger to put in

This is adapted from a recipe I enjoyed that used more canned ingredients in it.

Place in crock pot:
1/2 cup dry pinto beans
1/4 cup dry kidney beans
1/2 tsp. salt
2-1/4 cups water

Cook on high overnight (depending on your crock pot--on low mine won’t cook beans overnight, but if yours will you can cook on low).

In the morning:

Brown in oil:
1 lb. Frozen tofu, thawed and crumbled
1 medium onion onion

Place in crock pot with:
1 cup kernel corn, frozen or canned
1 quart canned tomatoes (diced or pureed)
1 small can diced green chilies
1/2 can black olives, drained and cut in half
1/4 of a red pepper, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 tsp dried oregano
2 Tbsp. taco seasoning (not the recipe from this blog--needs to be regular taco seasoning with chili powder in it)
1 tablespoon ranch dressing mix

Cook on high for several hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment